Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Ask Erik: Episode Fifty-Three

To Erik:  Hey, didn't you get a PS4?

As a matter of fact, I did.

Is it any good? 

...as a game system or as a door stop?

The former.

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I did get a PS4 soon after the launch, but to be honest I only did because I had a ridiculous amount of store credit loaded up at the retailer I bought it from and essentially paid nothing for it.

Actually, I paid exactly nothing for it other than using store credit.

At which point I brought it home, opened up the box, looked at it... and then closed up the box, set it aside, and left it alone for a few weeks.  Because other than a game I wasn't eager to buy yet because I'm still catching up in the series (Assassin's Creed 4), games I'm waiting to buy until the price comes down slightly (Lego Marvel, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition), and some upcoming games that weren't out yet (Thief, etc.), there didn't really seem to be any reason to immediately hook it up.  I mean, sure, it's got the Blu-Ray player built in, but I already had access to a Blu-Ray player.  And to the Blu-Ray player on a PS3 (which, again, I had a ridiculous amount of store credit to cash in on).  So...there really wasn't anything to rush out and do with it.

Eventually, though, I did get it hooked up and fiddled around with it.  After a rather massive system update I was able to shuffle around in the menus, and I have to say...I really like how they cleaned it up some from how the PS3 does it.  I always felt lost moving around the menus on the PS3, shuffling sideways and then up and down trying to remember where menu choices were.  The PS4 is pretty simple on all accounts so far, making it much easier to navigate.

Graphics-wise, yeah, it's pretty amazing.  I've played some Thief and the demo to Doki-Doki Universe and there's just something simply amazing about how even the cartoonish, colored lines of Doki-Doki Universe can seem so sharp and crisp.  It looks like what'd you'd expect to see a really talented artist create with wild slashes of paint if that artist was in a movie where the film dictated that the artwork would be awesome.

The controller, on the other hand, is an experience to try to figure out.  The touchpad is providing me with a bit of difficulty in mastering, both in figuring out how to select things from a menu it creates in games like Thief and being able to swing my thumb around to use it while playing the game otherwise.  It's not too difficult, and it's coming easier the more I play.  Then again, I have big hands, so I might need to get someone with smaller hands to give it a try.

I haven't had any problems with crashes, faults, or freezes so far, which hopefully means I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't have that problem (aaaaand now I jinxed it), which puts it ahead of an Xbox 360 I owned which died almost immediately after I plugged it in for the first time.

Now, one thing I am interested in is the "share" feature.  I'm not near a lot of people to be able to gather everyone up around a television and watch people play, so for those moments when/if I manage to do something utterly spectacular, it'd be great to be able to record it and play it showing people "look, this is how awesome this game is, you HAVE TO TRY IT."  Either that, or if I want to remember the satisfaction of defeating a terribly difficult boss, being able to look back and watch the video would also be entertaining.

It seems the PS4 really wants to sink its claws into my Facebook account for posting updates, emailing me letters from characters in games (Doki-Doki Universe again), and other features, but I figure I'll slowly get my feet wet instead of simply jumping into things.

So, what do I think so far?  I think it's a game system.  That's about all I've really been able to conclude so far.  The controller is interesting but requires a bit more use before I'm able to conclude anything, the graphics are, of course, amazing, and the menus are much more intuitive.  It's not the solid obelisk from 2001 or anything, and I think anybody who played it up to be before launch really doesn't understand how "revolutionizing" things works.

Oh, I will admit, I had absolutely no interest in ever owning a PSVita until I learned you might be able to transfer the games you're playing from the PS4 over to it so that you don't have to use the television.  If this is what I understand it to be...well, then it becomes a fancier version of the Wii U, but it's still a pretty cool idea.

No comments: