Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Fantasy Baseball League

So here's how exhausted I was yesterday.  At four this morning my eyes snapped open and I went "Oh, man, I completely forgot to write a blog post!"

So, yeah, I'm pretty embarrassed about it.

So, once again, this week I'll cram two posts into one day.

But for tonight, let's talk fantasy baseball!



There's a long-standing joke I used to hear on sports talk shows where they said that there are three types of people.  There's jocks, there's nerds, and then there's fantasy sports players, who somehow manage to out-nerd the nerds.

Keeping track of stats of players across leagues, trading, selling, buying, watching for players who suddenly become hot commodities...

I have news for you, sports talk people, nerds have been doing that for years before fantasy leagues became a thing.  Card games, board games, tabletop games, we kept track of the most insane minutia you could ever imagine.

I mean, to this day I remember layouts of Magic: The Gathering decks, or obscure rule exploits in Shadowrun.

Plus, to be honest, while I still love baseball, I'm just not as adept in the stats as I used to be back when I collected baseball cards.   I would memorize those things, know who the good and bad players were, and would keep a set near me to refer to when my beloved Mariners would play (and frequently lose to) another team.

But, a friend of mine I used to work with invited me to join his fantasy baseball league, and who am I to turn down something nerdy?

I present the line-up for team "Sexy And I Cenó It."

Currently catching (but able to be put at 1st base if needed), from the San Francisco Giants, is Buster Posey.

At First Base, we have Eric Hosmer from Kansas City.

At second base, my first round pick is Robinson Canó (see what I did with the name there?) from the Seattle Mariners, and hopefully my team MVP.

At third base, I snagged Will Middlebrooks from the Boston Red Sox.  Yes, he wasn't really that great in 2013, but I have hopes for him this year after looking at his pre-season playing.  Here's how big a wild card this guy is:  His "O-Rank" (which I guess is how they rank which players are the best) is 232.  Not good.

At Shortstop, I have Jose Reyes from Toronto.

Justin Upton from the Atlanta Braves, Christian Yelich from the Miami Marlins, and Adam Eaton from the Chicago White Sox fill out my outfield.

Brad Miller and Kyle Seager are my utility players.

On the bench, I have Brandon Moss, Evan Gattis, Ryan Howard, Chris Johnson, and another possible sleeper in Nick Franklin who currently ranks 885th.  However, I'm going to follow up on him before opening day to see whether he becomes a good utility player or not.

Pitching, I have Felix Hernandex and Matt Cain as my starters, and Trevor Rosenthal and Rafael Soriano as my relief pitchers.  As back-up I have Fernando Rodney, Kris Medlen (who I hopefully will be able to trade early, because dumb me I realized I needed another pitcher and snagged one not realizing he was on the DL for the whole season), Nate Jones, and Chris Archer.

Is it the best possible team?  Probably not, but I have hopes for it considering it's my first time taking part in this.

If my team's playing isn't horrendously humiliating, I'll post regular updates of how it's doing.


No comments: