Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Two Favorite April Fools Day Events This Year

I've never really been a huge fan of April Fool's Day.  I never really knew people I felt 100% comfortable doing pranks myself, mostly because I wasn't sure just how far to take the joke.  


However, I love the jokes done by websites and television shows.  These are my two favorite from this year.



First, we have the National Geographic Channel doing something I will forever love them for: they had the cast of Mystery Science Theater and Rifftrax rip apart a few of their more bizarre episodes of programs from their past.  Hearing Mike and the Bots take it to the mating habits of Tazmanian devils or discussing training dogs to search for people, hearing programs that would have been presented to you by a deranged science teacher in high school ripped apart by professionals makes me happy, but mostly being able to sit back at home and hear new material from old friends just left a smile on my face from the moment I first heard about it.


As for the other, we'll, I always wished I lived in a world with magic, or aliens, or something that made it even more amazing than I got to learn it was.  Which is why the fact that Google Maps scattering Pokemon to hunt for across the world map makes me both overjoyed and somewhat depressed.  On the one hand, it's an adorable way to get kids to explore the world.  They get to explore cities, sites, and landmarks across the world and even puzzle things out (want some water Pokemon?  Venice.  Electric?  Check out CERN).


On the other hand, the fact that I can't rush down to Washington D.C. right now and capture me a bulbasaur is rather depressing.  Heck, I'd settle for that Pumpkaboo down in Boston.

No comments: