Thursday, September 12, 2013

Top Eleven: Silly Crushes

We all have them.  It's that actor or actress whose movie you'll sit through even if it's complete garbage.  It's the athlete or sports star you cheer for even if you know they won't win.  It's the model you recognize from several advertisements based just on a familiar smile or twinkle in their eye.  It's the television star or reality program personality whose program you might not really like, but you'll sit through it just to see if that person shows up.  It's the individual who catches your eye from the magazine rack at the grocery store and you feel compelled to pick up that issue just to learn more.

It's your silly little crush, and don't pretend you don't have one.  In fact, don't pretend you don't have more than one, because we all do.  We're genetically built to find them, though we're now evolved enough that we don't let those urges control our daily lives.

Well, most of us are, anyway.



But that is the fun in having crushes.  You know that supermodel or actor isn't going to suddenly walk through the door and turn your life into a real world version of Notting Hill.  You aren't going to be approached by a guard at a concert and told the star was interested in meeting you.  You aren't going to feel a moment of generosity to pick up a stranger whose car broke down and discover it's the singer you love.

Well, okay, it might happen, but seriously, what are the odds?

And whatever you say, just remember that there's a Dave Matthew's Band fan who probably used up that chance.

So here's my top eleven silly little crushes.  But hey, if any of these people see this, it worked for Conan O'Brien and Liza Powell, so...

Anyway, here they are, my top eleven silly little crushes.  ...well, my top eleven current silly little crushes.  Another time we'll look at the ones I had growing up.  There are some interesting choices there.

Maybe another will be the top animated crushes I had, because we all know there were some rather "interesting" designs for female characters back in the day.

Now, let's make this clear:  This list is more than just people I'd want to hook up with.  They're not all "oh my god, that person is hot.".  Sometimes there's just something about someone you really like and you really want things to turn out well for them.  Sometimes you might not know anything about someone besides what you see on television or in a movie, but it's that one aspect of them (even if it's just good acting) that you develop a crush on.  So let's start the countdown.

11) Navi Rawat


I developed a crush on Navi Rawat the first time I ever saw Numb3rs (which remains one of my favorite television shows of all time).  I loved the fact they didn't just play her as "the smart guy's girlfriend" but gave her areas of expertise in math and electronics that everybody else on the show had no idea about.  She was a math nerd, a gamer, and still completely gorgeous and exotic at the same time.

I was thrilled when she made an appearance on Burn Notice (another show I love), and I've kept my eyes open for any other time she shows up.  With one of the best smiles I've seen on TV, it's no wonder I've developed this crush.

10) Jill Wagner


Wipeout is one of my ultimate guilty pleasures.  Any time I have a stressful day, I can just turn on an episode and laugh as people get knocked around and slammed into large piles of foam or splash into water.

Jill is, obviously, meant to be the "eye candy," but she brings something else: a genuine ability to connect to the contestants that the show needs.  She can sympathize with people who struggle, encourage people who are doing well, and even joke around with contestants who need their ego deflated slightly.  She always has a smile (and why wouldn't she?  She gets paid to comment on being falling down) and provides a lot of heart to a show that, let's face it, didn't really need it.

9) Gina Carano

When I first saw Gina Carano, she was Crush on American Gladiators.  I was instantly smitten.  She was powerful, certainly, but you'd see her smile and it had a softness to it that the other female gladiators didn't have.  She wasn't overly muscular, but you could see her strength when she slammed people off platforms.  I'd see her being used to promote the show by showing up at events, and she seemed to have a very active sense of humor about the entire experience and seemed extremely down to Earth.


Heck, I own a copy of Haywire on DVD just to support her movie career, and I personally think she'd be great as either a Wonder Woman or Big Barda in a DC comics movie.

8)  Sarah Shahi

I watched Sarah on Fairly Legal.  I never saw The L Word.  I've watched her appearances in Person of Interest.  I think she's as cute as a button and seems like she's either always smiling or has a smile buried just underneath whatever drama is going on.  Her laugh is infectious, and on Fairly Legal she lived on a boat for a while.  I've always wanted to live on a boat.


7)  Kari Byron


Anybody who loves science knows who this lovely woman is.  You might love or hate it, but Mythbusters has reawakened scientific curiosity by making people challenge and questions things that we've all simply learned to accept.

Originally coming in as, if I remember correctly, a "butt model," Kari joined the cast permanently and was able to bring her artistic eye and engineering skills together to help design some great items on the show.  She's funny, smart, sharp, and genuinely loves to perform the experiments, regardless of whether they come out successful or not.

You just gotta love those science ladies.

6)  Katherine Jenkins


Some people just get all the breaks.  Good looking.  Graceful.  Intelligent.  A dynamite opera singer.  It's almost unfair sometimes.  I'm not normally a big fan of opera (I just know so little about it) but Katherine Jenkins has just always knocked me off my feet every time I've heard her sing.  Her level of talent is unfair, especially to people like me who can't hit a single note no matter how hard they try.

5) Lacey Chabert

This is a crush that got better with age.  In 1994 a program came on the air called Party Of Five, and it was drama so thick you could turn on any episode and watch a character's life crumble apart while someone else tried to get their life back together.  I thought that Neve Campbell was pretty at the time, but the rest of the cast went past in a blur for the approximately three tries I gave the series since people I knew raved about it.

Lacey Chabert was eleven at the time, I was fourteen.  She wasn't even anywhere near my then-teenage radar.  She didn't even really register when I saw her later in Lost in Space, but that movie had Heather Graham in it, and the movie was so bad I think her presence was all I let my brain acknowledge.

Cue many years later:


Sweet little Lacey grew up.  I stumbled upon a picture of her online and kept thinking "wait, that can't be the same girl," so I started trying to figure out where her career went since the days of teenage drama.  I found her name connected to a few things I meant to see and had no idea she would be in, found she had done voice work for some animated features I had seen, and I even managed to stumble upon a (not that great) movie she was in called Thirst.

Maybe it's the fact that she seems to continuously radiate a bit of Southern girl charm, but when I spot her name listed to something I'll give it a listen or a watch depending on the work she does.  It's silly, but it's like when you have a friend with a little sister and you suddenly realize she's grown up, you just find yourself pausing for a moment every time you see her.

Silly, but that's what this list is.

4)  Kym Johnson

When you're the most gorgeous woman on a show with a ridiculous number of attractive women, you're something quite special.  Throw in a sexy Aussie accent, the ability to do ballroom and Latin dance with the best of them, a dazzling smile, and (from everything I've read) a streak of genuine kindness and courtesy to everybody you meet, and the only reason you're not at the top of this list is the fact that the rest have a bit more personal connection to my interests.


Still, though, if I was driving down the road and saw her at the side with a broken down car, I'd throw everybody and everything else in the car out to make sure I could take her wherever she needed to go.

Mental note, I need to take ballroom dance lessons again.  Look into that.

3)  Aida Mollenkamp


To this day I still record old episodes of Ask Aida on Food Network.  She was a fresh face on the network, willing to answer viewer questions regarding the hiccups amateur cooks might experience while trying to use a particular ingredient or copy a recipe.  She was bright and eager and seemed genuinely excited to just be in the kitchen.  She was a bit goofy and fun, and she was tall.  Seriously, in a Food Network special she seemed just as tall (if not taller) than a lot of the male chefs.  As a guy who's just a bit over 6'2", it's nice to see that.

I bought her cookbook and read through it, I'm still finding things in it to try to help me improve in my own cooking ventures.  I just hope one day I can meet her at a book signing or something and tell her how much she's helped me improve as an amateur cook.

2)  Lisa Foiles

Remember the TV show All That?  Remember when they brought in a new cast?  Remember that cute little redhead girl?


Well, she grew up, too.


Oh, and she loves cosplay.


I watch her "Top 5" video series every Tuesday over on The Escapist, but if she came back to TV, I'd probably watch whatever show it is.  Like the character Navi Rawat played, Lisa Foiles is funny, clever, gorgeous, and is deeply in love with the things that embody nerd culture.

She does seem a little too devoted to her cats, though.  She might want to look into that.

1)  Kristin Chenoweth


She's not the youngest person on this list.  She's not the tallest (but she might be the shortest).  She's not the most "traditionally beautiful" (though she is absolutely gorgeous).  Her voice isn't the sultriest.

But even when I saw her for the first time on The West Wing I kept going "who is that woman?"  I watched her on Pushing Daisies, I tuned in to Glee the few times she was on, I watched videos from Wicked on Youtube, recorded and watched any late night program or interview program or special where I saw her name mentioned.

I mentioned before how unfair it is the talent some people have, and this is definitely one of those cases.  Her level of ability and skill is something I can listen to all day, and while she does promote herself as "religious," she has a wicked (no pun intended) sense of humor that could make most "religious" people blush.  She's always upbeat, always laughing, and always just seems like she's enjoying life.

Despite the fact that if I ever met her and got a chance to hug her I'd have to kneel on the ground to do it, she still tops my list of silly crushes because it's been constant since 2005.

Silly, I know.  But hey, haven't you ever had one just as silly?

(Note:  Just in case one of these women somehow finds this blog one day, I really really don't intend for this to sound at all creepy.  I'm just highly impressed and amazed by each one of you and I have absolutely no plans to camp outside your house or follow you as you head to work or anything like that.  ...though, I somehow suspect being quick to promise that might make me sound even worse.  ...uh, nevermind!)

No comments: